On 13/04/2023 17:51, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
On 2023-04-13 10:27, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
On 13/04/2023 17:20, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
* cygport-0.36.1-1

Oops. Wrong list. Sorry.

No worries ;^>

While you're here, I just recently noticed that xargs has a flag:

     -P, --max-procs[ =]max-procs

so we can easily use `nproc`, $((`nproc`+1)) like make, or $((`nproc`-1)) to be nice, to handle parallelizable commands on long lists of files, perhaps for Preparing debuginfo source files?

Perhaps. I suspect that step maybe largely I/O bound, since I think it mainly copies a lot of files. (maybe it doesn't need to, and hard links would work just as well, idk)

Ideally, the first step in making some performance improvements would be to actually profile the existing code in some way, to generate some evidence which identifies places where effort would be best spent, rather than randomly parallelizing whatever strikes your fancy... but then again, I'm not working on it, so you can do whatever you like...