On 01/03/2024 13:13, Christian Franke via Cygwin-apps wrote:
It IMO makes sense to compress large and rarely viewed doc files like change logs. This seems to be common practice on Debian etc.

With current cygport, the following results in ChangeLog and ChangeLog.gz in the docdir:

src_install()
{
   dodoc ChangeLog
   gzip -9 -n "${D}/usr/share/doc/${PN}/ChangeLog"
}

Uh, I don't quite see how this patch will change the behavior of this fragment.

Even more confusing, why isn't this already doing what you want? Unless you specify -k/--keep to gzip, the input file is removed, right?

The attached patch fixes this and also adds some missing documentation.

I applied the documentation change as that is obviously needed.