Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:

Charles Wilson wrote:

Not gonna happen: it has been stated before on this list that 'insight'
*must* run without X -- which means that tk will remain Win32GUI.

Tk must remain Win32GUI, or *a* Win32GUI Tk must remain, for the sake of
insight?

It may be possible, eventually, to have both win32GUI-cygwin-runtime-tk
and XGUI-cygwin-runtime-tk on the same machine, but nobody has
undertaken the daunting task to make that happen.  Ditto gtk.

Others have mentioned building *NIX tcl/tk on Cygwin, and I wouldn't
call building gtk2 daunting; I'm not personally interested, as I'm
focusing on the X11 ports.

However, I don't see the problem in assuming that GUI apps are presumed
to be X-flavor (with the tk exception, above).  If at some point
somebody figures out how to build a similar GUI app/toolkit in the
opposite flavor, it can go in /opt/.

Static X based tcl/tk is doable now.  I needed it because I had a
X based tcl/tk app that didn't work right with the cyg native
tcl/tk.  dll's will take some effort and coordination upstream.

Regards, Doug