David,

Use the "source" command to process the script so that its variable-setting
side-effects occur in your shell. Otherwise those variable settings happen
in a sub-shell (and for exported variables, any processes it invokes). The
"source" command has a synonym: "."

% help source
source: source filename
     Read and execute commands from FILENAME and return.  The pathnames
     in $PATH are used to find the directory containing FILENAME.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA