On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 02:19:12PM +0100, marco atzeri wrote:
>On 2/15/2012 1:27 PM, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
>>>

>google is usually fine, but a look at cygwin mailing list archive is
>likely more effective and focused.
>
>At least a look at
>   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/
>archive should be given.
>

>> Having never required X previously, and having assumed the Cygwin installer
>> would have told me if packages I was using required X11, I assumed that was
>> a different problem; one specific to full Linux systems.  I "knew" gitk on
>> Cygwin could just work and create windows without needing X11, because
>> that's how it had always worked since I started using it.
>>
>> Eventually I found http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-02/msg00115.html, and
>> realized I did now need to use X11.  However, I suspect most people aren't
>> going to subscribe to the Cygwin mailing lists, and are going to hit exactly
>> the same problems.  Where they, as I did, will spend quite a bit of time
>> trying to work out why things that always used to work are suddenly pumping
>> out errors about this "X11" thing they've never used previously and have no
>> desire to use.
>>

>In reality installation of new tcl-tk requires a certain bunch of X,
>and setup takes care of that, see extract of setup.ini
>@ tcl-tk
>sdesc: "Tcl X11 toolkit"
>ldesc: "An X11 toolkit implemented with the Tcl scripting language."
>category: Interpreters Tcl X11
>requires: libfontconfig1 libX11_6 libXft2 libXss1 tcl cygwin
>version: 8.5.11-1
>
>It is clear to all that this change broke with the past usage,
>but due to the lack of support for the old tk gdi interface only
>2 options were available:
>- do nothing and staying with tcl-8.4 forever without any evolution

And, also, the tcl/tk which was previously released were basically
Windows versions of those packages which had problems with Cygwin path
names, signal handling, and other stuff.  This represented a bunch of
"bugs" that are now magically fixed by the release of a modern tcl/tk
built for Cygwin without any Windows hacks.

(And they were hacks)

cgf