On 4/21/2020 2:52 PM, Mark Hansen wrote:
On 4/21/2020 8:33 AM, Mark Hansen wrote:
I have a Windows 10 laptop, on which I installed Cygwin. I always log into the
machine using
my corporate domain account. When I log into the machine from my office,
everything Cygwin
works fine.

When I log into my laptop from home (which I'm working from home for a while
now, due to
COVID-19), I still log in using my corporate domain account, but Cygwin acts
differently.

Here is my user id (from the id command) when I log in from the office:

uid=1293438(Mark.Hansen) gid=1049089(Domain Users) ...

Here is the same when I've logged in with the machine at home:

uid=1293438(MAN+User(244862)) gid=1293438

(MAN) is the domain.

The actual problem I'm having is that Cygwin tools like ssh, git, etc. can't
find my .ssh
directory. They are looking in "/" rather than my home directory.

I tried copying my .ssh directory from my home to "/" and although it was
created, the
files have the wrong permissions and I'm unable to change them.

Is there something I can tweak to get Cygwin to understand which user I am so
the ssh
stuff can start working again?

Thanks for any help.

To answer a question posed by someone to my private e-mail:

I didn't have the HOME environment variable set at first. When the PC is at my
office,
Cygwin worked fine. When I took the PC home and logged in there, I had severe
Cygwin
issues - I wasn't able to open a Cygwin Terminal or an XTerm terminal - it
seemed it
didn't know where my HOME directory was.

As a result, I set my HOME directory in the environment settings for my user.
Once I
did that, I was able to use the Cygwin Terminal and XTerm terminals again.

The only thing that is still not working (as far as I can see) is any ssh
client which
needs to find the .ssh directory (like ssh or git, etc.).

Assuming Cygwin doesn't know about my user (when the PC is at home) - is there
something
I can run to reset what Cygwin thinks is the user?

Otherwise, I'll try reinstalling Cygwin and see if that helps.