On 2021-07-31 15:09, Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] via Cygwin wrote:
I seem to be unable to start "Cygwin64 Terminal" (using the standard icon
placed on the desktop when Cygwin gets installed)
after I had to change my password (at work).  My account did not change.  What
I see is that the terminal window pops up
momentarily with a text "This account is currently not available", and then
closes right away.  I'm using my work PC
perfectly fine, and my new password works just as well (using it every time to
log in the system), only the Cygwin terminal
stopped working after the change.  I "own" the Cygwin installation on my work
PC (it's installed by me from under my
username).

Even rebooting the PC did not help to clear this up.

Weirdly enough, I can start bash from cmd.exe, but then it shows my username
numerically:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>c:\cygwin64\bin\bash.exe

NCBI_NT+User(1606)@NCBIPC9135 /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-10.0 NCBIPC9135 3.2.0(0.340/5/3) 2021-03-29 08:42 x86_64 Cygwin

Any suggestions?

Maybe show us the outputs from:

$ head /proc/version; getent passwd $USER; net user $USER

with necessary parts obfuscated.