> How do you install and upgrade Cygwin and Packages?

Why?  I wasn't upgrading anything this time.  But when I need to upgrade, I
create a ticket for admins to stop cygserver,
then I update all the files, and then I create a ticket to restart the service.
 (BTW, Setup won't be able to complete
and update cygwin1.dll if anything of Cygwin is still running -- so it's hard
to miss.)

Everything worked prior to my password change (and that was the _only_ thing
that I was changing, not packages).  After that
I was unable to start Cygwin Terminal (it blinked "This account is currently
not available" at me, and closed immediately).
I rebooted the machine, to no avail.

"cygcheck" was showing broken output for one of my secondary group name.  "id"
was showing numeric user / group (nothing broken,
though).  "strace" for "id" showed it consulted cygserver.

When admin stopped cygserver, right away I was able to start the terminal again
(without even any need to re-login,
let alone to reboot).

It was all described previously in my emails to this list.

The thing is that I _need_ cygserver because I use shared memory.  So I will
have to ask admin to restart, eventually.

Anton Lavrentiev
Contractor NIH/NLM/NCBI