On 27/01/2022 07:28, Shaddy Baddah wrote:
Hi,

On 25/1/22 7:02 am, Jon Turney wrote:
 > A new version of Setup (2.917) has been uploaded to:
 >
 >   https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe  (64 bit version)
 >   https://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe     (32 bit version)
 >
 > Changes compared to 2.915:

I've had a new problem with this version, which I have been able to
work around.

I guess this means 2.915 didn't have this problem.

I normally do a two stage update of Cygwin, with the second stage
being running down the "Install from Local Directory" path.

This was silently existing. As it turned out, it was doing so as I had
an old, setup.ini from a mirror I had unintentionally selected (rather
than my preferred mirror). Here's the preamble to that setup.ini:

[...]

I moved that out of the way, and then was able to proceed.

I was fortunate that I acted on a hunch. Otherwise, even with -v on
command line, there was nothing that could indicate to me what was
causing the issue.

I'm hoping that this silent exit can be fixed, to at least give an
indication, via logging or pop-up or other, of what is blocking the
install.

Thanks for reporting this.

This seems to be a crash which occurs if you're not using 'download and install' mode, and have cached setup.ini files from multiple mirrors, and those differ in if any install package for a given source package is available.

I've uploaded an updated setup with an attempted fix for this:

  https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.917-3-g489d9c.x86_64.exe
  https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.917-3-g489d9c.x86.exe

Perhaps you could try that and see if it improves things for you?

Thanks.