On 2023-08-13 11:40, Martin Wege via Cygwin wrote:
On Sun, Aug 13, 2023 at 12:53 AM Roland Mainz via Cygwin wrote:
On Mon, Aug 7, 2023 at 7:38 AM KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS) via Cygwin wrote:
On Sat, Jul 29, 2023 at 6:18 AM Roland Mainz wrote:
Is there an official way to enter the Cygwin command line (e.g. bash
login) from Windows cmd.exe, e.g. if someone ssh's into a Windows
machine he/she ends/up in a cmd.exe and not bash...

You may run your favourite shell from the bin directory of your Cygwin
installation:
"C:\Program Files\Cygwin\bin\bash.exe"
"C:\Program Files\Cygwin\bin\tcsh.exe"
replace " C:\Program Files" with your target Cygwin installation directory root.

Turns out my problem was simply that I forgot that just typing "bash"
only gives me an interactive shell, which sources only the interactive
shell configs (e.g. /etc/ksh.kshrc + ~/.kshrc for ksh93, and
/etc/bash.bashrc + ~/.bashrc for bash), but not the login configs
(e.g. /etc/profile + ~/.profile).
So the simple fix was just to type:
C:\Program Files\Cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login
or
C:\Program Files\Cygwin\bin\ksh93.exe --login
P.S.: Which reminds me - is there a way to contribute a Cygwin ksh93 package ?

We would greatly appreciate a Korn Shell 93 package, preferably with
some POSIX builtin commands.

$ cygcheck -p Korn
Found 6 matches for Korn
mksh-53a-1-src - mksh-src: MirBSD Korn Shell (source)
mksh-54-1-src - mksh-src: MirBSD Korn Shell (source)
mksh-56c-1-src - mksh-src: MirBSD Korn Shell (source)
mksh-53a-1 - mksh: MirBSD Korn Shell
mksh-54-1 - mksh: MirBSD Korn Shell
mksh-56c-1 - mksh: MirBSD Korn Shell

https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/mksh-src.html

POSIX only standardizes the POSIX shell sh (install man-pages-posix for docs).
Cygwin provides the dash POSIX compatible shell preinstalled as a base package.

Each shell provides its own builtins which may be similar, or have differnet names, and sufficient differences, to keep shell programmers in a job.

                                -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry