On 16/11/2023 07:03, Martin Wege via Cygwin wrote:
On Wed, Nov 15, 2023 at 6:05 PM Andrey Repin via Cygwin
<cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

[...]

---- snip ----
Unable to extract /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll -- error writing file
---- snip ----

The fix is to do a $ sc stop cygserver # as Administrator, then
"setup-x86_64.exe" can write to that file, and after "setup" is done do a $ sc
start cygserverr # as Admin again.

... is it possible to modify "setup-x86_64.exe" to stop cygserver before
doing the installation process and re-start it after it ?

Yes, the source code is available. :)

There's no reason to do so, as there's no easy way to detect beforehand, if
you actually need to do so.

sc query cygserver is EASY to detect.

Unfortunately, this is not what's actually needed: To generically detect a service which (is the parent of) a process which has a file which setup wants to update open.

That said, I'd certainly be open to patches which improve matters without solving the problem with full generality, but just observing they are "EASY" doesn't bring them into existence...

Anyhow, you can see the old discussion about how we might add this feature back when I added the current limited support for terminating processes which have needed files open. starting at [1].

Perhaps someone cleverer or more diligent than me will progress this...

[1] https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2013-February/031448.html