On 1/31/2024 7:40 AM, David Allsopp via Cygwin wrote:

Starting with this very trivial C program:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <zstd.h>

int main(void) {
   printf("Zstandard v%d\n", ZSTD_versionNumber());
}

and compiling with

x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc -o test.exe test.c -lzstd

when I then run ./test.exe, I get the Windows critical-error-handler
dialog stating "The code execution cannot proceed because
libzstd-1.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this
problem."
[snip]

x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc is a cross compiler, a.k.a. the Mingw compiler, not Cygwin's gcc.

It is quite correct for a cross compiler meant to produce Windows executables to do what you are seeing. The executable is independent of Cygwin, i.e. doesn't use the Cygwin dll.
--
RB