> x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc produces a Windows program, why Cygwin should
> be involved in the execution ?

I perhaps should have made that crystal clear - in running "./test",
I'm invoking that excecutable _from_ a Cygwin program (in this case
mintty / bash / sh), so Cygwin is very much involved - it's the
caller.

In the actual problem which hit this, I have a non-Cygwin executable
which has called SetErrorMode(SEM_FAILCRITICALERRORS). If that program
calls test, there is no popup displayed. However, it also calls
Cygwin's sh and _that_ executes that program too, so something like
"C:\cygwin64\bin\sh -c "./test.exe | sed ..." but then the popup error
message appears. So somewhere along the line, Cygwin appears to be
resetting the system error mode, and that appears contrary to previous
(old) messages on the subject.

Thanks,

David