On 12/02/2024 01:05, wsnyder--- via Cygwin wrote:
I have a Windows Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044 system with Cygwin
installed a while ago.

Opening the cygwin terminal (which works fine), I see it is running:

CYGWIN_NT-10.0-19044 version 3.3.6-341.x86_64 (corinna@calimero) (gcc
version 11.2.0 20210728 (Fedora Cygwin 11.2.0-2) (GCC) ) 2022-09-05
11:15 UTC

I needed to install some packages so downloaded setup-x86_64.exe onto
my desktop. When I run it from the desktop I get the "busy" cursor
for a fraction of a second and nothing happens.  When I open the
native Windows cmd prompt as administrator, and run
"setup-x86_64.exe" or "setup-x86_64.exe -v" or "setup-x86_64.exe
--asdjasdjaskdhj", I just get the prompt back.

If, however I startup the cygwin terminal (vs cmd window) and run
setup-x86_64.exe, it starts correctly.  However I'm afraid to run it
this way as if it crashes I'll presumably never be able to run setup
again.

This seems highly speculative.

This is a work machine so while I have admin, it's completely
possible they've added some broken virus checker rule that is now
preventing it from running. But, I get no alert, which I normally
would doing something unusual, and that it works under cygwin itself
seems odd.
This is very odd behaviour.

If you really suspect some AV problems, it may help to try the uncompressed setup executable, available from [1]

[1] https://cygwin.com/setup/