On 12/02/2024 21:37, matthew patton via Cygwin wrote:
If you really suspect some AV problems, it may help to try the>
uncompressed setup executable, available from [1]
Huh, when did this start? Nobody pays by BW anymore so what was the

Firstly, do not send me personal email.

I think we started providing setup as a UPX compressed executable in 2002 or 2003. In any case, long before my involvement.

Certainly there's an argument for *not* doing it these days, although your assertion that "nobody pays for BW" seems likely to be based on your personal perspective, rather than a survey of Cygwin users globally.

I've recently started providing the uncompressed executable *in addition to* the compressed one (because people occasionally have problems where their AV won't let them run *any* UPX compressed program).

rationale behind a "self altering" executable? No wonder it would
experience havoc in an A/V environment since the extracted temp file
may well be located on a non-executable location and or EXEC would
have been shimmed by AV and it doesn't correctly return control from
an ephemeral location.

You're making assumptions here about how the decompression stub works, which I don't think are accurate for UPX.