On 26 Feb 2024, at 18:00, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On 26/02/2024 17:34, Dimitry Andric via Cygwin wrote:
>> Hi,
>> After a recent upgrade of a Cygwin installation, including cygwin1.dll
>> (see https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2024-February/255308.html) to
>> 3.5.0-1, I now get spurious "error 127" messages from (Cygwin's copy of)
>> GNU make 4.4.1-2, when it starts external processes and those external
>> processes exit with a zero exit code.
>> For example, a very simple Makefile:
>> all:
>> cmd /c echo done
>> Running this a few times in a Cygwin bash prompt, gives:
>>   Dim@kilchoman ~/foobar
>>   $ make
>>   cmd /c echo done
>>   done
>>   Dim@kilchoman ~/foobar
>>   $ make
>>   cmd /c echo done
>>   done
>>   make: *** [Makefile:2: all] Error 127
>
> this smells as a lost race with your AV
> can you tell it to not bother the Cygwin directory ?

I have no antivirus program except Microsoft's built-in thing, but even
if I completely disable that, it makes no difference.

> Does anybody know if there are intermediate cygwin1.dll copies
>> somewhere, so I attempt to bisect where this problem started occurring?
>> -Dimitry
>
> you can test the next snapshots to see if it makes any difference
> https://cygwin.com/packages/smmary/cygwin-src.html

Thanks, I will try a bunch of those. It might been handy if such files
were also available for the commits between 3.4.10 and 3.5.0. Otherwise
I'll have to attempt building the DLL myself, but that is a lot more
complicated...

-Dimitry