Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin wrote:
On Mar 20 12:39, Christian Franke via Cygwin wrote:
Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin wrote:
You have to create an application with an application manifest not
supporting your OS.

For Cygwin apps, this occured when you built, say, an executable under
Windows 8.1 before Windows 10 support was added to the Cygwin toolchain:
the manifest linked to the Cygwin executable didn't yet contain a GUID
entry for Windows 10 support.

In this case, RtlGetVersion returns an OS version 6.3 even when running
under the 10.0 kernel.  This behaviour exists back 'til Windows Vista.
Could not reproduce the latter on Win10. I tested with recent Win10 and
Win11 and also found a Win10 1511 (and Slackware 1.1.2, Win3.1, OS/2, ...)
in my VM image museum.

Regardless of the exe manifest, RtlGetVersion and RtlGetNtVersionNumbers
return the correct versions:
10.0.22621 (Win11 22H2)
10.0.19045 (Win10 22H2)
10.0.10586 (Win10 1511)

Without a manifest, GetVersionEx returns:
6.2.9200 (Win8)
Please check on commit 48511f3d3847c.  It was a real, existing problem
at the time.  I wouldn't have added the RtlGetNtVersionNumbers call
just for fun.

Of course.
I learned about the existence of RtlGetNtVersionNumbers via this commit and was curious, which Windows versions were affected but found none. This suggests that only some early Win10 versions were affected.

--
Regards,
Christian