On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Tim May wrote:

>So, if in fact we _are_ talking about each $20 bill having such a
>transponder, then why are our arguments about how easy it will be to
>shield against remote probing not valid?

Because the economics do not work. People simply aren't
knowledgeable/interested enough to actually shield their notes, even if
this would only imply buying a foil-shielded wallet. Especially if such
wallets are outlawed. (Yes, this is starting to sound like too much, even
if governments don't always behave rationally.)

>(A stack of bills, or cards, will have extremely poor radiation patterns
>from any but the top or bottom bill, and probably their patterns won't
>be good either.)

How come? True, if a bill is idealized as being planar, you'll have
trouble on the plane. Spatial diversity will take care of that. Otherwise,
a common note has plenty of surface to do your thing on. Especially at
higher frequencies, like UHF and beyond.

Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED], tel:+358-50-5756111