On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Nomen Nescio wrote:

> Changing "trust" to "believe" advances the discussion not one whit.
> Alice trusts Bob to sign keys accurately; Alice believes that Bob signs
> keys accurately.  The change doesn't add anything.
>
> In fact if anything it's a step backwards.  Trust is a specific form of
> belief; it is a belief on which the holder is placing some reliance.
> By substituting belief for trust you lose information.  You go from a
> more specific term to a more generic one, a sign of sloppy thinking.
>
> It's a sad commentary on the intellectual level around here that a fatuous
> old windbag can propose such a counterproductive change in terminology
> and get his spineless lackeys to salute him for his "wisdom".  Meanwhile
> those who know better are intimidated into silence.

While I thought the same thing about it being a more general term, it
seemed like it was pointless to discuss.  Rather than complain about the
intellectual level, it's better to ignore noise and simply discuss the
signal you feel is interesting.  Ignoring noise is not a sign of
intimidation :-)

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike