Last year I wrote a long piece about people hacking DirecTV satellite
signals. Now I'm releasing it for free to the web with a couple of
embedded ads for my latest books. If you're interested in a few
clever people who find ways to defeat some of the best security
systems available, you might want to read it.

The link is at the top  of my home page/blog:

http://www.wayner.org/

If you can't find it there, try here:

http://www.wayner.org/books/f7.pdf

You are free to circulate this as long as you leave the ads for
_Disappearing Cryptography_ and _Translucent Databases_ in place.

Please be aware that there is a new legal climate in Canada, the
hotbed for most of the public hacking. The Canadian Supreme Court
effectively re-criminalized the behavior with a new decision last
Friday, April 22. Before that date, the lower courts accepted the
arguments of the pirates who claimed that the law didn't protect
DirecTV because DirecTV wasn't legally broadcasting in Canada. This
changes the legal equation, but it doesn't affect one of the major
root causes of the piracy. Canadians who want to watch the better,
cheaper American programming will still have no choice but to steal
it.

If you have thoughts, suggestions or pointers, please don't hesitate
to contact me.

Peter Wayner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]