> [EMAIL PROTECTED][SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> > Nothing. I think that's correct. The only problem is broadcasting the
> > keys is not simple. The latest systems change keys frequently-- as
> > often as every 20 or 30 seconds I seem to remember. If you change the
> > channel, you need a new key. It's not like the old days when the key
> > changed daily or monthly.
>
> I don't know anything about anything,. but it seems to me that
> 1) unless you want to have a period of static/blackness  every
> time you change channels, the system must be storing the
> keys to all channels, even if each channel is encrypted with
> a separate key.  Similarly, the system would have to broadcast
> what new keys will be in advance of the actual key changes.
>
> I'm just raving  like a lunatic here, but it seems to me that if you
> buffer the encrypted incoming signals, you don't have to get the
> keys in anything like realtime in order to watch the programming.

I've been looking into switching to DirecTV, since my local cable
monopoly (ATT Broadband) has such lousy service (their response
to the sat-tv threat is not to improve their service, but to broadcast
FUD about satellite's expense, contracts, etc).

It's my understanding that in fact, you do get a short period of
blackness when you change channels - you can't surf with any
thing like the ease you can on non-sat systems.

> > If you have such a service broadcasting the keys, it's not too hard
> > to track you down. So I think it's not a practical solution.
> >

> I'm pretty confident that it's possible in principle to
> broadcast anonymously using a dc
> (dining cryptographer) network.  Maybe there's an easier way.
>
> George

So the DA rounds up the whole net on a conspiracy charge....

> > -Peter

Peter Trei