At 1:31 AM -0700 on 5/12/02, Morlock Elloi wrote:

>> People don't actually have to understand it as long as they get
>> paid, of course.  People who are getting paid want to get paid as
>> cheaply as possible, ceterus parabus, and so any payment
>> mechanism's
>
> At which point do you fail to understand that people who *need*
> anon, untraceable transactions and use paper cash these days (not
> checks, not money orders, not wire transfers) would not touch a
> networked computer-like thingie with a 10' pole ?

Their loss, I suppose. I frankly don't give a tinker's damn about
what a bunch of erst-feudal atavists want. Sooner or later, if it's
cheap enough to use, *everyone* will use a given technology, or go
live in a cave by choice -- until their kids want a better life. You
might want to be a "natural" man, but I sure don't, and, frankly,
neither do most people who are born "natural".

> The value-bearing vehicle has to be 100% comprenhensible and
> verifiable by the end user in these cases, not by some faraway
> programer and a web of hype, I mean trust. Or the end user does not
> need cash in the first place.

I think we've just agreed here and you don't know it. That's a shame,
really. I said that if people get what they want, cheap transactions,
they don't care how it works. I bet, for instance, you have no idea
how to use intaglio printing (and fractional reserve finance, for
that matter) to make a banknote, and could care less. You have no
idea how to mine gold, if you want to go farther back than that. You
just care that people want to get paid in gold, so you convert
whatever you have too much of into gold and use the gold to buy
things.

> This is the prime reason why digital cash didn't happen - users
> don't really care to replace *one* middlemen (government with a
> printing press and shitloads of armed men protecting the reputation
> of cash) with another *few*.

Actually, we're talking about a micro-intermediated market with
*lots* of intermediaries, just a single intermediary in every
transaction. We're talking about Moore's Law and strong cryptography
driving profit and loss down to the device level, right?

When you talk like you've been doing, you really do sound about as
neo-scholastic as some PoMo french philosopher, you know.

Think about what you're saying, here, instead of trying to storm the
Bastille in some frothing fit of almost luddite egalitarianism.

Cheers,
RAH

--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>