Greetings,

On Thu, 23 May 2002 00:24:00 -0700, "Lucky Green"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> Adam wrote:
> > Which is too bad.  If NAI-PGP went away completely, then
> > compatability problems would be reduced.  I also expect that
> > the German goverment group currently funding GPG would be
> > more willing to fund UI work for windows.
>
> Tell me about it. PGP, GPG, and all its variants need to die before
> S/MIME will be able to break into the Open Source community, thus
> removing the last, but persistent, block to an instant increase in
> number of potential users of secure email by several orders of
> magnitude.

As long as you obtain your S/MIME certificate from an apporved CA,
using an approved payment method and appropriate identification.....

IIRC Thawte has a procedure for authenticating their free certificates
by proxy:  A Thawte certificate holder certifies that s/he has seen the
credentials of some other certificate holder, in absence of a physical
Bank or Notary Public.  Both the certifier and certified gain points by
this validation process.

> Here's to hoping,
> --Lucky

Indeed.  -=c=-