On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 04:40:36PM -0700, Eric Murray wrote:
> Additionally, there is nothing that prevents one from issuing certs
> that can be used to sign other certs.  Sure, there are key usage bits
> etc but its possible to ignore them.

The S/MIME aware MUAs do not ignore the trust delegation bit.
Therefore you can not usefully sign other certs with a user grade
certificate from verisign et al.  If you make your own CA key (with
the trust delegation bit set) and self-sign it, S/MIME aware MUAs will
also flag signatures made with it as invalid signatures because your
self-signed "CA" key is not signed by a CA in the default trusted CA
key database.

> It should be possible to create a PGP style web of trust using X.509
> certs, given an appropriate set of cert extensions.  If Peter can
> put a .gif of his cat in an X.509 cert there's no reason someone
> couldn't represent a web of trust in it.

While it is true that you can extend X.509v3 I don't see how useful it
would be to add a WoT extension until it got widely deployed.
Recipient MUAs will at best ignore your extensions, and worse will
fail on them until support for such an extension is deployed.  I view
the chances of such an extension getting deployed as close to nil.
The S/MIME MUA / PKI library / CA cartel has a financial incentive to
not deploy it -- as they view it as competition to the CAs business.

Adam