On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, AARG! Anonymous wrote:

> Niels Ferguson wrote:
>
> > At 16:04 16/09/02 -0700, AARG! Anonymous wrote:
> > >Nothing done purely in software will be as effective as what can be done
> > >when you have secure hardware as the foundation.  I discuss this in more
> > >detail below.
> >
> > But I am not suggesting to do it purely in software. Read the Intel manuals
> > for their CPUs. There are loads of CPU features for process separation,
> > securing the operating system, etc. The hardware is all there!
>
> > Maybe I have to explain the obvious. On boot you boot first to a secure
> > kernel, much like the Pd kernel but running on the main CPU. This kernel

[SSZ:...]

> Thanks for the explanation.  Essentially you can create a virtualized
> Palladium, where you emulate the functionality of the secure hardware.

While not as secure as hardware, it's worth mentioning that the newer
Linux kernels now allow virtual machines right out of the box.

    We don't see things as they are,                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    we see them as we are.                                   www.ssz.com
                                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Anais Nin                                         www.open-forge.org