AARG! Anonymous  wrote:
>Lucky Green wrote:
>> In the interest of clarity, it probably should be mentioned that any
>> claims Microsoft may make stating that Microsoft will not encrypt their
>> software or software components when used with Palladium of course only
>> applies to Microsoft [...]
>
>First, it is understood that Palladium hashes the secure portions of
>the applications that run.  [...]
>
>With that architecture, it would not work to do as some have proposed:
>the program loads data into secure memory, decrypts it and jumps to it.
>The hash would change depending on the data and the program would no
>longer be running what it was supposed to.

I think Lucky is right: Palladium does support encrypted programs.
Imagine an interpreter interpreting data, where the data lives in
the secure encrypted "vault" area.  This has all the properties of
encrypted code.  In particular, the owner of the machine might not be
able to inspect the code the machine is running.

If you want a more concrete example, think of a JVM executing encrypted
bytecodes, or a Perl interpreter running encrypted Perl scripts.  For all
practical purposes, this is encrypted software.  Whether this scenario
will become common is something we can only speculate on, but Palladium
does support this scenario.