"James A. Donald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Peter Gutmann wrote:
>>All they're doing is reading a URL off a USB dongle
>>(technically a 256-byte I2C memory card plugged into a
>>reader, but in effect the combination is a USB dongle).
>>That's a no-brainer, I can do that with two wires taped to
>>the card contacts and poked into the PC's parallel port, and
>>around 50 bytes of code on the PC.
>
>If all they were doing is reading the URL, presumably you can already get to
>the site without owning the smartcard.

Yup, but that wouldn't be Cool(tm) any more.

>I believe the card cryptographically proves its presence to the site to show
>that the user is authorized to hit the site.

That would be a considerable feat for a 256-byte dumb memory card.

At most, it'll contain a name+password for HTTP basic-auth (and to identify
users to the site so they can be connected with the info they supplied at
purchase time).  You've spent too long in the crypto world.

Peter.