On Wednesday, October 9, 2002, at 07:28  PM, anonimo arancio wrote:

> This relates to an issue I've wanted to discuss with "Cypherpunks" for
> several years.
> Over the years, I've seen several commentators (including Timothy May)
> appear suprised when discussing the US's encryption export policies.

I wouldn't characterize my reaction as "surprised." I've written many
thousands of articles, including hundreds (at least) on crypto export,
ITAR, etc. Mostly back around 1993-95. It's become a less important
issue in recent years. (Why, I wonder, are you just now sharing your
thoughts with us on this old subject?)

> The basic argument is that, if good encryption is available overseas
> or easily downloadable, it doesn't make sense to make export of it
> illegal.

That's one of the basic arguments, yes. And it was borne out by the
shift of development of many crypto products to non-U.S. sites.

> On the surface this would seem a sensible argument.
> ANd, it would seem a purely beaureaucratic (I'm sure I spelled that
> wrong) error.
> But I am wondering if Cypherpunks have mentioned the 'obvious'.
>
> The government knows exactly what it's doing. It wants to discourage
> the use of encryption by any means necessary, because of sheer > numbers.

Yes, throwing roadblocks and inconvenience factors up was discussed
many times here.

The ITARs (since renamed) were used by the Feds to intimidate potential
developers of crypto products.

> Basically, the more messages that are encypted, the more hardware (and
> therefore $$$) will be needed to decrypt them.

And how many $$$'s worth of hardware do you think is needed? Do you
believe even one tenth of one percent of traffic is now having it's RSA
modulus factored by brute force?

> Therefore, the only way they can stay ahead of the game is to keep the
> numbers as low as possible, so they can continue to "outspend" the
> problem.

Public admissions by DIRNSA have stated the obvious: that they are
unable to keep up with the technology of even a dozen years ago.

> This is, from their perspective, a perfectly reasonable approach to
> decrypting large numbers of messages, a small fraction of which may
> contain "interesting" information.

If you actually believe they are decrypting "large numbers of
messages," you must know something about their quantum computers that
we haven't heard about. Care to share?

> Is the above statement a) wrong, b) obvious c) mentioned previously on
> the cypherpunks boards, or d)"hey! We never thought of that"

The archives are easily searchable.

--Tim May