So as a follow on question...what kind of hardware does it take to break the
weak and strong versions of Bogus Notes? Is it possible that NSA or Echelon
have the ability to decode a large number of such messages?

And if the amount of hardware needed to break the strong version is
significantly greater than that required to break the weak version, then the
government's attempts to restrict any proliferation or use of the stronger
version could make sense, from their standpoint.

But as was said before, this may have been discussed here previously.