At 11:59 PM 11/15/2002 -0500, Dave Emery wrote:
On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 08:01:08PM -0800, Tim May wrote:
        Whilst hardly (understatement of the year) a Washington insider,
I would speculate that perhaps someone in the DOJ has gotten concerned
about recent white hat hacker projects like gru-radio and takes
the potential threat from bright hackers with IQs 40-60 or more points
over the scanner crowd far more seriously than some truck driver
with a modified Radio Shack scanner.

        And I am on record as advising some of the folks doing gnu-radio
that in my personal opinion it was rather unlikely that a user
programmable open source software radio would ever get FCC approval or
be legally sold in the USA under current regulations on scanning radio
receivers.
No FCC approval should be required. GNURadio is not a RADIO but an extensible toolkit of signal processing software for building test instruments. Test instruments are essentially unregulated by the FCC. See for yourself by checking out the regulatory compliance section a spectrum analyzer or signal generator from HP or Tektronix.

steve