On Thursday, December 19, 2002, at 12:29  PM, Michael Motyka wrote:

I believe that the primary battle, subversion of the proprietary OS and mainstream
applications for intelligence purposes, was over before we even thought about fighting
it.

Now the commercial interests are being brought into the fold.

Care to share your reasons for believing this?

Nobody has reported solid evidence that Mac OS 9 or X is spying on customers and then dialing up Big Brother, nor even that buggy Windows code had the bugs deliberately inserted. If Windows 98 or NT or 2000 or XP was in fact providing a covert channel to BB and someone found this (by instrumenting the connections, by decompiling, etc.), this would be Very Big News. A career-creator bigger than what Wagner and Goldberg did with the random number generator flaw.

So far, nobody has found such a smoking gun.

--Tim May
"The State is the great fiction by which everyone seeks to live at the expense of everyone else." --Frederic Bastiat