John Keley wrote...

"There are terrorists who'd want to do nasty things to us for simply allowing global trade, or for allowing trade with repressive regimes like Saudi Arabia or Nigeria, or for selling weapons to countries with bad human rights records."

Hummm...kind of an odd argument, don't you think? Should it still be called "terrorism" if there exist those that oppose a world-wide oppressive and corrupt regime that in turn props up any petty dictator that smells as rotten as we are?

"Osama Bin Laden might not hate us, but *someone* would."

Well, perhaps we fucked with the wrong guy. In other words, its one thing to piss off a small number of people, but if you keep stomping around the globe screwing people over and spouting tired rhetoric, you're bound to attract the attention of someone with enough money, networks, determination and religious zealotry who makes it their mission in life to take you out. Perhaps its no big coincidence that OBL is Saudi and that we've supported and propped up the repressive Saudi regime for years. (He's also stated many times that one of his goals is to topple the corrupt Saudi regime and to remove American control.)

It's funny...but I think I just understood what "infidel" means...

"Even if we were just an economic giant with little foreign policy, we'd still have an impact by which countries we chose to trade with, and if someone could improve their fortunes by several billion dollars a year by finding a few gullable guys to strap dynamite to themselves and blow up shopping malls and such, I'm sure they'd do just that."

Perhaps we should try it and see? Ah well. But remember, it just might be that OBL and Co are not just half a dozen guys in a Pakistani cave. Perhaps there are thousands who are almost equally angry, and every time the Israelis use one of our whiz-bangs to kill their kids, we add a few more to the roster of those willing to strap dynamite to themselves.

BTW...a Muslim co-worker sardonically stated recently that our new war with Iraq is just a way to show more smart missle "advertisements" to the petty dictators we peddle our stuff to.

-TD