On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> [...]

Thanks Eugen,  It looks like the IBM TPM chip is only a key
store read/write device.  It has no code space for the kind of
security discussed in the TCPA.  The user still controls the machine
and can still monitor who reads/writes the chip (using a pci bus
logger for example).  There is a lot of emphasis on TPM != Palladium,
and TPM != DRM.  TPM can not control the machine, and for DRM to work
the way RIAA wants, TPM won't meet their needs.  TPM looks pretty useful
as it sits for real practical security tho, so I can see why IBM
wants those !='s to be loud and clear.

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike