On Sat, 8 Feb 2003, Michel Messerschmidt wrote:

> AFAIK, IBM's "embedded security subsystem 1.0" is only a key
> storage device (Atmel AT90SP0801 chip).
> But the TPM we're talking about is part of the TCPA compliant
> "embedded security subsystem 2.0" which supports all specified
> TPM functions, even if the released TPM driver can't use all
> of them (for now).
>
> BTW, why should I need a TPM only for secure key storage ?
> Any smartcard is better suited for this.

Because it's soldered into the portable.  For an enterprise
that means they *know* each portable out in the field is held
by the correct user.  With a smart card, they only know the
card is held by the correct user.

It ain't perfect, but it's useful for the real world.

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike