On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Vincent Penquerc'h wrote:

> But wouldn't that hint to these children that they may actually
> have to think ? You don't have to think of a flag, you just react
> with (preprepared) emotions, but with a constitution...

No reason we can't start a movement to plege alegiance to the constitution
:-)

> Best of all was, we were a group of french people one day, in the
> library, and this happened again. We looked at each other, and
> tacitly decided to continue our stuff, silently, without at all
> disrupting their ceremony. No more than two minutes after the end
> of it, we got the head of the library come to us, knowing we were
> french, and telling us we *had* to do it...
> That was *years* ago.

Some 40+ years ago we had to learn it in kindergarten.  One kid
refused and they took him out of class.  I never saw him again.
I think he had other problems (learning disability of some sort)
but you can bet it scared the shit out of the rest of us.  Ever
since I've despised the plege ceremony.  It really is brainwashing,
and it only works on the robots :-)

> You bet that after that, some people forget to think altogether
> and refer back to this thorough brainwashing they had when they
> were kids.

Unless it has an opposite effect, and you're scarred for life
to watch out for brainwashing.  It's interesting watching my
local community deal with it, we made national news last year by
*disallowing* the pledge (kids didn't have to say it).  Whooboy,
talk about a tempest in a teapot!

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike