At 4:55 PM -0800 2/21/03, Bill Stewart wrote:
>Exactly how "Spanish Surname" was officially defined is obscure;
>Aztec-surnamed or Inca-surnamed or Maya-surnamed people
>generally seem to pass.   Mexico and South Texas also had a lot of
>German immigrants in the 1800s, so there are German-Mexicans
>with names like Jose Mueller, and I don't know if they pass,
>or if they're insufficiently part of La Raza.

My mother-in-law and father-in-law, recently married, were living in Texas
while he finished his training as a B17 navigator.  They decided to visit
Mexico, and when they were about to return to the US, decided to buy a
souvenir.  My father-in-law approached a man selling sombreros, and
attempted to bargain.  Since he spoke no Spanish, and the seller spoke no
English, negotiations failed.  My father-in-law turned to his wife and
said, in Yiddish, "He doesn't understand me, lets go."  The seller
responded in fluent Yiddish, and my father-in-law bought his sombrero.

The seller was a Jew who had managed to escape Europe and the Nazis.  He
had come to Mexico because it was close to the United States, and he really
wanted to end up in the US.  He ended up selling sombreros just south of
the border.

I wonder if his children qualify for the "is a Hispanic" points?

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz           | Due process for all    | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506         | used to be the         | 16345 Englewood Ave.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | American way.          | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA