1. The NSA doesn't own it's own sub - they used a Navy sub - several
infact.  I think you're refering to how a US sub snuck into a Russian
harbor, looked for and tapped phone lines.  This was during the cold
war. (It's possible that they own their own subs now.)

They found the lines because signs were posted saying "Don't dig here",
attached the probe and returned with all the tapes they got, then they
sent another sub, and got more signals, etc.

2. They didn't cut the wires, they attached a device around an amp (signal
booster.)  This was tempest based.  Not sure what happy fun technology
they used to separate one phone call from another, likely they had lots
and lots of sensors to get differing but anyway, the physics of listening
into to a signal traversing a wire is simple.  (A wire parallel to another
will pick up the RF signal in the opposite direction - this is why the
difference between cat3 and cat5 is the number of twists - the more
twists, the more you eliminate crosstalk at higher frequencies.)

Not sure what the NSA would do to tap fibers, certainly tempest wouldn't
work - except if there are repeaters nearby - or if they actually cut into
the fibre to splice it.

It's not too late for undersea fibers - just encrypt all traffic
across.

 + ^ + :NSA got $20Bil/year |Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\
  \|/  :and didn't stop 9-11|share them, you don't hang them on your/\|/\
<--*-->:Instead of rewarding|monitor, or under your keyboard, you   \/|\/
  /|\  :their failures, we  |don't email them, or put them on a web  \|/
 + v + :should get refunds! |site, and you must change them very often.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.sunder.net ------------