From: Thomas Shaddack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Dave Emery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using time-domain reflectometry to detect tamper attempts on telecom cables
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 07:39:36 +0100 (CET)

>    But getting the bits from under the ocean somewhere back to
> Fort Meade without being detected must be more interesting.

Can't they hire their own fiber in the cable, splice it, and feed the
preprocessed data in there?

> It probably is true that the right wavelength laser will
> penatrate water for some limited distance so a link could be set up from
> a bouy near but below the surface to a sensitive telescope in earth
> orbit.

I heard copper vapor lasers would do, that they are used for eg.
intersubmarine communication. But can't confirm nor deny this.

> ...as there was no overlap of traffic on multiple wires.

What techniques are used to pick the data from the mix of the signals from
the cables with more wires?

>    Doing this for a sonet ring carrying 10 gbs or so as some
> undersea cables now do seems rather challenging - at the very least
> how one would follow changes in channel allocations and traffic loading
> would seem very problematic.   And intercepts that are weeks or months
> old would be very much less interesting in most cases than near real
> time intercepts - particularly of targets like terrorists.

It's being said that NSA is losing its grip on communications, to their
great joy. It must make them mad. Hee! :)
...maybe the era is coming when even the US will be forced to play fair?