> Ken Brown[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> This has now happened - Terry Lloyd one, of Britain's better-known
> reporters,  seems to have been killed by US marines. According to the
> cameraman he was picked up by Iraqi ambulance, so its a fair bet they
> weren't embedded in the COW (thanks for the acronym, Tim)
>
> http://www.itv.com/news/236548.html
>
> Ken Brown wrote:
        [...]
> > Kate Adie's broadcast (which I heard on the BBC) was in the context of a
> > discussion of "non-embedded" reporters. She claimed that all the best
> > news from Gulf War 2  had been from people who weren't bedding with the
> > military. The ones who are being threatened are the ones with the
> > temerity to travel independently rather than under military orders.

Let's not mix apples and oranges. Kate Adie's report
concerned the possibility that air-launched
anti-radiation missiles might be directed against
radar-band transmitters in enemy territory, without first
checking to see if they were actually reporter's
microwave satellite uplinks.

Terry Lloyd was in a battle zone, on the Iraqi side.
I kind of doubt if he was wearing hunter orange, or
a big flashing neon sign saying "Western Journalist:
Don't shoot me."

Without commenting on the legitimacy of the US
invasion, it looks to me like Mr Lloyd took a
calculated risk to get the news from from the Iraqi
side of the front lines, and tragically lost.

Peter Trei