At 09:10 PM 3/27/2003 -0800, Major Variola (ret) wrote:
"Sometimes  when you're in government you have to do things for the
people
whether they like it or not. That's what governing is all about," said
Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno, R-Brunswick.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030327/1028333.asp

Re: Usenet as solution to Al-Jazeera jamming problem

I suspect that Usenet groups containing tens-o-megabyte files
are often blocked by ISPs (and public sources would be overwhelmed).
Also, wasn't Usenet plagued by evil message-cancellers?

Yes, people sometimes try to thwart postings, esp. muliti-part postings common for video. Speaking of which, I think you should visit Usenet sometime and look at the alt.binaries.multimedia hierarchy. People routinely post movies in Divx/avi, vcd, svcd and now even dvd format (we're talking about a full 4.3 GB disk!). If someone wanted to create a plug-in for popular multimedia viewers (e.g., RealOne or Windows Media Player) that could resolve and automatically assemble Usenet postings it could work very well (there are already a number of newsgroup readers out there specialized for such work) as a broadcast video tool for any commercial or non-commercial application.

steve