At 11:23 PM 1/12/2004, Tim May wrote:

During the Carnivore debate, I argued that mandatory placement of computer agents in systems was equivalent to quartering troops:

< http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg03198.html>

"The Third Amendment, about
quartering troops, is seldom-applied.

"But if I own a computer and I rent out accounts to others and the FBI
comes to me and says "We are putting a Carnivore computer in your
place," how else can this be interpreted _except_ as a violation of
the Third?"

This was from July, 2000. I believe it also came up in earlier discussions, including in a panel I was on with Michael Froomkin at a CFP in 1995.

I could assume this also applies to the the TCPS (if it is ever required) and FCC's new mandate that DTV video devices sold in the U.S. after December 31, 2004 include a 'cop' inside to enforce compliance with the broadcast flag.

steve