On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Tim May wrote:

>It's also a waste of time to write FAQs, I've concluded. I suspected this
>before, but now I know it for sure. Those who most need to read a FAQ are
>usually the least likely to do so. Those who read widely don't _need_ a
>FAQ. FAQs are thus mostly useful for providing etiquette tips to newbies,
>telling them where to find archchives, pointing out books they should read,
>etc. All third grade stuff.

I have to disagree with you in part here. Your points are well taken as
many (most?) people are too lazy to look stuff up or haven't yet learned
how to use search engines efficiently. One problem with a lot of FAQs is
that they are spread all over the damned place and thus it can be hard
to locate a current version of the FAQ for a given issue. I ran into
this problem the other day when attempting to set up a CDRW on my
linux box (which btw still isn't working correctly. if anyone out
there is knowledgable about such things, I'd appreciate some assistance)
The LDP (Linux Documentation Project) is a step in the right direction
for Linux related FAQs. A quick trip to http://www.linuxdoc.org/ will
allow you to find most FAQs, docs and HOWTOs that you might need, though
many are not as useful as they might be.

Perhaps those interested in furthering other subjects could band
together and institute a site at www.documentation.org that would
be a repository of information on various subjects.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.zeugma.nu/

You can patent a mouse trap. You should not be able to patent trapping mice.