From: Sunder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> It might not even be the "standard of living" making for the disparity,
but
> rather the value of the dollar versus the value of the local currency.
Sure,
> these guys make $20 a month, but that $20 a month would buy them as much
as our
> $2000 would (sans some things that they don't have in their economy, but
I'm
> talking about staple necessities such as food, clothing, housing.)

This is a common misconception, even in my country (Romania, Eastern
Europe). I argued with someone claiming that "$1,000 in Romania is
equivalent to $4,000 in the US". I told him that it's the other way around:
you need at least $4,000 (and I doubt even this will solve much) to buy the
same services as $1,000 will buy in the US. Do you realize that I live in an
area where we have hot water once every three days? And even the cold water
can be stopped for a day? Do you know the level of medical services here?
[Well, I understand you come from a communist country too, so you might know
what I'm talking about.] Have you ever seen a Romanian road? [They look like
someone tested explosives there. No, this is not a joke.]

Conclusion: the $20 a month (or $50, or $100) usually buys survival. A good
bread (I understand from my American friends that our bread is better than
yours <g>), some meat, some vegetables. I am fortunate to work for an US
company at $6.50 / hour, so I'm in the "rich" class in my town, and I don't
yet own a car, or even an apartment. But there's no comparison between this
and "what $2,000 would buy in the US".

Mark