At 04:15 PM 3/2/00 -0500, Declan McCullagh wrote:

>You could try warning of mail-order gun purchases online. No need to
>mention that under longstanding federal law, all weapons manufacturered in
>the last hundred years must be shipped to a dealer or other federal
>license holder. It could still be scaremongery enough for your audience.

My understanding is that it is only the receiver which is federally
controlled.  With proper design it may be possible to safely create a
receiver made from laminated slices bolted together.  Since no one laminate
slice could be reasonably identified as the receiver none would have to
bear a Federally tracked serial number nor have restricted interstate shipment.

I'm sure someone has thought of this before.

--Steve