Giving credit to a US president for political change in the USSR seems a
little
far fetched. The people of the USSR and Eastern Europe were responsible for
that change.

Having actually lived in Europe during that time I cannot say that any of
the
activists I know considered Ronald Reagan a major influence on the events.
The USSR was bankrupt since Nixon's time so starting an arms race to
bankrupt them further was superfluous - and in any case the records of arms
production show that the USSR did not follow the US lead.

Reagan's intervention may have been decisive in leading to the collapse and
breakup of the USSR after the velvet revolution took place. But if so this
was an unanticipated and unintended consequence. Like every general in
the NATO armed forces, Reagan saw the USSR as a monolithic and
invincible superpower, in his mind it was the evil empire poised to conquer
Europe, not the decayed and rotten empire that only needed a good kick
to start the collapse.

As for his limited intellect, I have personally heard Margaret Thatcher make
jokes about that so it can hardly be an exclusively left wing notion.
[Although
the idea of Thatcher making jokes is somewhat astonishing it did happen on
that occasion.]

The test of the Jackson decision will be if it stands. At the current time
he appears
to be attempting to short circuit the appeals court with a leapfrog appeal
the supreme court because it is clear the appeals court will strike out much
of his opinion.

The idea that one person alone should decide such a case is pretty bizare.
The
idea that one person should be the sole decider of fact is equally bizare.

        Phill

PS, those are points of information, not points of order.