At 11:46 PM -0400 4/5/00, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>Giving credit to a US president for political change in the USSR seems a
>little
>far fetched.

So the American space program was not a result of Sputnik? Nations
influence other nations all the time.

>  The people of the USSR and Eastern Europe were responsible for
>that change.
>
>Having actually lived in Europe during that time I cannot say that any of
>the
>activists I know considered Ronald Reagan a major influence on the events.

Gee, radical lefties won't credit Reagan with anything. Imagine my surprise.

Reagan was, I think, evidence that anarchy works. For eight years,
America had no effective leader (Reagan being, as you note, not all
there) and the country meandered on well enough.