> You confuse market share, e.g., the decision by most consumers to
> choose Windows over OS/2 or Plan 9 or DrDOS, etc.

How are the consumers who can't cope with the Web and have to use the AOL
version meant to be able to learn UNIX or Plan-9?

> Netscape kept on bloating up their browser to the point where 4 and
> 4.5 were 12+ megabytes of crashing cruft. Like many others, I
> switched to Explorer a year or two ago. I like it a lot.

I didn't so much mind the crashing as the ad hoc unilateral extensions that
were thrown into the spec. Cookies were a very bad solution to the problem
they were meant to solve. There were far better solutions available.
Netscape unilatertaly defined a proprietary extension that has become a
major threat to privacy.

Netscape did not invent the Web but they tried very hard to give the
impression that they did.

                Phill