At 10:14 AM -0700 7/10/00, Patrick Henry wrote:
>Tim May wrote:
>
>>At 8:17 AM -0700 7/10/00, Patrick Henry wrote:
>
>>>This is a true test of the survivability of a minarchist society.
>
>>No, because no "government laws" are involved in _any_ of the
>>discussions of how to handle the list.
>
>>Would you make the parallel constructions as easily:
>
>>"The success of my party next Saturday will be a test of the
>>survivability of a minarchist society."
>
>What could be done differently, in the absence of government laws, relative to
>cleaning up the list?  Would you cut spammers' hands off?  That doesn't sound
>very libertarian.

The list owners are free to implement any policies they desire. They
can insist that all articles be accompanied by GIFs of the authors
standing on their heads. They can require that a magic word be
included in all subject lines. They can shut off the list. They can
restrict it to subscribers. The can demand PGP signatures of some
sort.

For someone who claims to have been on and off the list since 1994,
it seems that remarkably little of its themes have sunk in on you.

Are you just being obtuse?

--Tim May

"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.