On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 02:54:28PM -0400, Francis Litterio wrote:
> BUT ... does a predicable permuting of the list address constitute
> automated filtering?  I think not.  It's no more automated filtering than
> is the trivial intelligence test that the list currently requires of all
> posters (i.e., knowing how to spell "cypherpunks" and how to pick a CDR
> entry point).

filtering mails that don't have CPUNK in the subject is nothing more than an
intelligence test, and doesn't only prevent spam but also prevent misuse of
cypherpunks as email address for receiving webservice password, and mailinglist
subscribtions (especially those which require some confirmation key)..

i wouldn't call that censorship...
none of the original information would be distorted or censored by the
CPUNK payload...

is my freedom of speech limited just because MTAs add Received: headers?

subject filtering's simply the better solution, because it would catch all
unfriendly mails, except those who deliberately target the list.
(e.g. no spam, but mailbombing using some lame windows mailbomber).

--
so much entropy, so little time