At 05:16 PM 11/9/00 -0600, Jim Choate wrote:
>On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Jim Choate wrote:
>> On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Sampo A Syreeni wrote:
>>
>> > You are talking about two very different problems, here. Gödel/Turing
sorta
>> > things are about problems where quantifiers over an infinite set are
>> > permitted.
>> In the particular case we are speaking of we are talking about the
>> situation where the language consists of "all
>> consistent/valid/evaluatable/assignable boolean sentences".
>>
>> Hence, somebody did a naughty...
>
>If you have a 'language' that is provably consistent then you know that
>that language is not complete or 'universal'. There MUST!!! be sentences
>which are not included in the listing.

That's fine.  The Satisfiability problem, and in particular 3-SAT,
doesn't claim to be complete or universal.  It's just a very large and
versatile class of Booleans, but it doesn't pretend to contain
Booleans that describe encodings of their own truth values
(unlike this discussion :-)   Just things of the form
        (A1 or A2 or A3...) AND (B1 or B2 or B3...) AND ....

                                Thanks!
                                        Bill
Bill Stewart, [EMAIL PROTECTED]